On 27 July 2010 18:42, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading the list for a few weeks (and posted once to get gmane
> set up and tested) in preparation for an upcoming job. I have a contact
> who is keen on using open source wherever possible in a new startup
> company, so I am looking for any kind of resources which might help in
> such a situation. I've been using open source software for years, but
> only in large corporations in fairly narrow applications.
>
> I couldn't make the Ubuntu in Business meeting a couple of weeks ago,
> but is there a writeup of what happened there? Are there any other good
> starting points to get an overview of what Ubuntu can offer the small
> (but hopefully fast growing) business?

If you need to get up and running quickly, and resources are tight,
have you thought about using Google Apps for your domain? Register a
domain name, set up google apps with that domain name, and you
instantly have 100 email accounts all for the cost of the domain
registration. Client machines can be anything with web access and a
browser. Instantly have ability to work away from the office. Later,
as time and resources allow, you could either upgrade to the paid for
version, or migrate away to running your own servers, as required.

I would be interested in what you find in the way of ERP. There is
half an idea floating around inside my head that concerning that.

--
Philip Stubbs