On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 12:00 +0100,Simos Xenitellis
<simos.li...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Rowan Berkeley
> <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, people. Two more gremlins today: sound card vanished, i.e. not
> > just no sound, but 'internal audio' not found in audio hardware; and
> > 'shut down' vanished from main user menu. Did a hard shut down using
> > the power button, restarted, everything back to normal. This is
> > undoubtedly hardware, isn't it - and the machine just one month out
> > of guarantee...
>
> The typical thing for sound is to run the alsa-info.sh utility that
> grabs all the hardward info of your sound card and helps in figuring
> out what went wrong.To do this, run
> wget www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash
> alsa-info.sh
> You will be prompted to send the report to www.alsa-project.org;
> answer Yes and write down the URL given. Finally, post the URL here in
> the reply so we can help. In addition to this, you should be somewhat
> wary when people ask you to run command on your computer. The command
> I mention above is referenced in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting and the website
> I mention is the official Alsa website (http://www.alsa-project.org).
> Normally you do not get anymore a 'Shutdown' menu option under the
> System menu, since the Indicator Applet has the Shutdown
> functionality. Which version of Ubuntu do you use? There is a
> difference in the shutdown button between 10.04 and previous versions.
> Simos

That's a very helpful reply, Simos, thank you. I thought there was an
outside chance that I did not have a hardware problem, and it would be a
relief if this turned out to be the case. The URL for the alsa report is
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a625eb47fb7ce3264dd9405755d19a94a416fa20
I see what you mean about the indicator applet having a shutdown
feature; I had removed this applet on installing 10.04, assuming I would
still have shutdown on the main menu, and for a few days, I did have.
:-)
Rowan