On 9 September 2010 12:23, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 September 2010 11:23, Tommy Pyatt <tommy.py...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/09/10 09:39, Keith Powell wrote:
>>> I would like to install Ubuntu 10.4, using Wubi, on a machine which has
>>> Windows7 installed. The Windows7 installation uses two partitions - the
>>> main one and a rescue partition. No CDs supplied!
>>>
>>> If I understand things correctly from what I have found on the forum,
>>> trying to install Wubi on such a two partition machine doesn't work and
>>> is likely to 'wreck' the Windows installation if I try.
>>>
>>> Please could someone comment on this?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get the computer's owner interested in Ubuntu, so at this
>>> stage 'messing about' dual booting his hard drive or fitting a second
>>> drive, is out of the question.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> The System Partition on Win7 is part of the standard installation.
>
> News to me. This has not been the case on any of the 3 of my own test
> machines with Win7, nor on any of the other machines belonging to
> clients and customers that I have installed.
>
> Some *manufacturers* install a system or recovery partition but it is
> *not* a standard Win7 feature.
>

> --
> Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
> Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Those partitions are little windows PE boot environments with the
manufacturers recovery tools in them. I can't see how they would
intefere with the Wubi installation, unless when the change to the
windows boot manager is made, it tries to set the wrong partition as
the windows environment. Didn't have any problems with my Acers
though.
--
Regards, Kris Douglas.
 T. 0845 004 2066 | M. 07728574285