On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:27 +0100, Barry Drake wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.10 finds all the drives OK but refuses to mount the IDE hard
> drive saying it already has a drive mounted at the same mount point.

Ubuntu mounts removable drives (really, any not in /etc/fstab)
in /media/LABEL. LABEL is either the filesystem label, the word "disk",
or UUID.

I'm guessing that the problem is that one of your other drives is
mounting on /media/disk and your IDE drive wants the same location.
Ubuntu usually tries to mount on /media/disk-1 in such a case, but I
don't have enough information to be sure.

However, what you might try doing is giving the filesystem on the IDE
drive a new label. How to do it depends on the filesystem. For ext2/3/4
and FAT, the commands are:

sudo tune2fs -L newlabel /dev/sdb1
sudo dosfslabel /dev/sdb1 newlabel

Once it has a different label, it should auto-mount on another
directory.

Tyler

--
"... that your voice is amplified to the degree where it reaches from
one end of the country to the other does not confer upon you greater