On a bus on my phone.  Check the contents of a file I think it is:

/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

Should have 3 or 4 lines ending in the word true.  If not edit, change and
reboot.  Usual cause of this is a failed suspend.  Will confirm file name
when I get home

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Oct 2010, at 16:00, John Stevenson <j...@jr0cket.com> wrote:

On 18 October 2010 15:25, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbpli...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I have a netgear wireless router which at the moment I am not able to
> use for wireless so I’m using a patch cable to the ethernet port.
> My Windows 7 laptop just err connects to the router and I can plug in and
> unplug at will, BUT, when I plug the cable into my Netbook running 10.04 it
> fails to connect! It shows the wired connection, but comes up with the
> “Wired Network disconnected” message. I’ve disabled wireless, but it won’t
> connect at all!
> Anyone know why? (I always though that with wired connections you just
> “plug it in”....)

Hello Gordon,
Yes, you should just be able to plug the wire in and it just works.

The network manager panel icon now is animated when it is trying to get
connected using an automatically assigned network address (DHCP).  The panel
icon now uses the same animation for wired and wireless.

It sound like it is failing to get a network address from your router.  Here
are some things you could try:

1) Check your router can give out more IP addresses using the web based
interface on your router - I guess you will have to go into Windows for -
your DHCP range of addresses should be big enough for all your computers and
Internet enabled devices.
2) Check network manager for your wired setup - right click on the network
incon in the panel and select "Edit configurations" - check the wired tab
has an entry and edit that entry to ensure it is configured to use DHCP.
3) If you know your network settings, use the network manager to create a
new wired entry and set up a manual network.

If you are unsure of how to use network manager, have a look at page 41
onward of the ubuntu-manual <http://ubuntu-manual.org/> for a very nice
guide to the network manager.

Hope this helps.
--