On 21/02/11 18:06, Rob Beard wrote:
On 21/02/11 16:45, Ross Mounce wrote:
 [It's my first post: Hi all!]

 I often hear that it's rare to find UK vendors selling computers with
 Ubuntu pre-installed.

 So I was pleasantly suprised to see this:
 http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/NEW-Nanosaur-410-95p966.htm

 ...comes pre-installed with "Linux Ubuntu 10" [sic]

Actually that doesn't seem too bad, it's not that much cheaper at trade
price :-)

 On a related note. I'm looking to buy a multi-core desktop, and a netbook.
 Any suggestions as to where I can get these aside from the
 aforementioned vendor?

     * I want to avoid having to pay extra for M$ software that I won't use
     * I'm on a student budget, so the cheaper the better!

Not sure about a Netbook but for a multi-core desktop, have you
considered building one yourself?

If you don't fancy that option then you could try eBuyer.com, Aria.co.uk
or Novatech, they all sell PCs with or without an OS.

I notice that Novatech have a Linux forum and netbooks(?) like the X10 have models which change over product time. One recently has been the subject of a struggle with certain configuration, later solved.

On the subject of self build: bent pins and thermal compound - some mainboard bundles are sold with CPU fully assembled and tested. I think novatech do this, for example.

Is a hand me down desktop any possibility I wonder?
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user