On 01/03/11 18:45, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
On 01/03/11 18:11, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
It appears that installing "Samba" from the Ubuntu Software Centre
doesn't actually install Samba - it installs something else!
I've now installed Samba4 from Synaptic and running "sudo netstat -auntp
| grep samba" on both machines gives me something like this:

Samba 4 is quite new and not really what most peeps use yet as far as I'm aware.

I'm running Samba 3.4.7 on my server (10.04) and a client machine (10.10) is showing 3.5.4. These are the standard versions AFAICT.

On my home server that runs samba I have to look for smb and nmb to find what if samba daemons are listening to the correct ports.

sudo netstat -auntp | grep nmbd

sudo netstat -auntp | grep smbd

These are the names of the Samba daemons. The samba client is part of the Linux kernel and does not need any extra software to use it.

from any computer try smbtree as this will show you what Samba can see on the LAN.

I'd suggest Googling for some Samba expert tips rather than blindly installing Samba4 possibly on on top of samba3.

Find your smb.conf and let people see what's in there too (obviously remove any sensitive data).

Al

Hi, Has anybody managed to get this sorted, has it been taken off list. I have been trying to follow what is going on, but the thread seems to have dried up, can somebldy still help?

what is smbtree?