On 06/03/11 14:50, Grant Sewell wrote:
Unfortunately /var/lib/dpkg/status is quite an important file and (as
far as I am aware) there is no real way to re-generate it.  Essentially
it holds details of each package that's installed, and those that have
been installed and removed (but not purged), etc, etc.

You may be able to get back to a semi-usable system is the
file /var/lib/dpkg/status-old is still present - it is (obviously) an
older version of the file so it may not be completely up to date, but
if you duplicate that you*should*  get a usable system.

Rule #1: Unless*you*  are 100% certain on what you are doing, never
*delete*  a file on your system that someone else tells you to delete.
Renaming the file is almost always good enough, and at least if you
rename it you have a chance of renaming it back again.

So, try this:
$ sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status

Grant

Hi, thank you for your message, I really appreciate it. Well, it looks like its not going to work, I used the command you gave me, and I still get the

'InstallArchives failed'

I get this message when trying to install from synaptic.

'E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'libbz2-1.0'.Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

I take it the only way now is to fresh install?