On 23/05/11 14:13, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Dino T. wrote:
>> A friend and I are brainstorming on a 2 hour presentation to give to
>> Universities and Colleges across Liverpool.
>
> Are you targeting the universities and colleges themselves as
> institutions, their staff, their students, or a mix of the lot?

Perhaps you could cover the open document standard and why universities
should allow use of either .doc or odf formats, at least why they should
perhaps offer both on computers,

they may have to settle on 1 file format,  the OU now ask for
assignments to be submitted in .doc,  as before it was either .doc, docx
or .odf, so at least .doc is something both open office, libreoffice and
MS office can cope with.  and i guess it reduces issues for the people
marking the assignments.

perhaps using firefox over internet explorer (standards and security)
thunderbird + lightning over outlook (cost, security etc)

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  i...@devonmusiccollective.com for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day