On 09/06/2011 14:17, Jon Reynolds wrote:
Here's a follow up from my Dad after I berated him a little about giving up too easily but also understanding how he just wants to get on with work...

Me:
Ah you give up too easily, I am sure you could do what you want to do but it would be a bit of a learning curve. But I can see why you would want to just go back to what you're used to, if you don't mind paying for it.

Dad:
Perhaps I do, but too late. I'm now the proud possessor of a legitimate copy of Office 2003. Ok, Ok! But it's what I know and I just want to DO things, not mess about learning a new version. But I've added the latest service pack and a converter so I can open docx format. It was only 30 odd pounds anyway

Interestingly IMHO the appearance of both Open Office and Libre Office is more akin to Office 2003 than anything else! And, the fact that he's installed the compatibility pack is absolutely NO guarantee at all that he will be able to open docx documents..... ;-)