On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:43 +0100, Sarah Chard wrote:

> n Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:15 +0100, gazz wrote:
>
> > We've previously found it difficult to do stuff in schools because
> > policy has rather dictated an emphasis on Microsoft Office skills
> > but this is changing and we're now looking at doing work in schools
> > - particularly to develop a new generation of programmers.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paula
>

> Paula
>
> We've talked about this quite a bit at our LUG meetings and have put
> special emphasis on contacting teachers and students for our open
> source events -
> we had some success at our March event as we had a number of students
> from the local 6th form college who attended.
> we are looking to build on this for our event in sept for software
> freedom day - so any ideas gratefully received
> I would be interested in developing material to make it easier for
> teachers / students to get started - it would be useful to have a
> resource that local LUGS and others could then tap into if they are
> trying to get interest in schools and colleges in their area.
>
> Sarah

Hi Sarah - OK sounds good! I need to look for some funding to develop
this - we're working on doing an Ubuntu-basics course for our
non-profits and this could be adapted for schools. We're also looking at
doing some programming basics workshops for schools. It's in the very
early stages (and I keep getting sidetracked cos we lost the bulk of our
funding in April and it's been a bit hellish) but I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if you happen to visit London, maybe we could meet up? I
think we're doing pretty similar work. Also, I'm in the process of
setting up a women's FOSS advocacy network with Anna from Open Computers
in Manc (who's also doing similar work) - I'll send you details when we
get under way?

By the way, do you know Richard Ross-Langley who used to be the circuit
rider? He has good contacts with the VCS and comes down to the FOSS
Fridays frequently.

Paula