On 11/06/11 11:40, Sean Miller wrote:
> On 11 June 2011 11:30, Paul Sutton <zl...@zleap.net
> <mailto:zl...@zleap.net>> wrote:
>
>     Perhaps we need more people in schools to help out who can actually do
>     web design and help out without charging hundreds of pounds for the job.
>     nProblem is most people out of college may not have these skills, I have
>     seen web design courses advertised at my local college, they use
>     Dreamweaver,  great so i use that at college go in to schools and they
>     can't afford it.  Goes back to teaching skills rather than packages and
>     to the test.
>

> No, that is not the point at all... schools would not take on somebody
> to be their secretary who had no concept of what a word processor was,
> or could not use a spreadsheet... they are meant to be educational
> establishments... are you REALLY saying that the quality of staff at our
> schools could not grasp writing something like this :-
>
> <h1>here is a heading</h1>

Not sure, what I was getting at was that my local college as do many
others teach using Dreamweaver or other expensive tool I think this
removes the need to write html by hand for the most part.

I would rather learn how to do a website plus what is going on under the
hood so to speak, so I understand what the software is doing.

People here have said we should be teaching how to use word processor or
example NOT how to use a specific package that ties people in to a
specific company or file format.  if you teach me HTML then I can use
what ever editor I want, I will probably also understand what is going
on in dreamweaver so when I view the code I actually understand what its
doing,

I am not implying people are not capable of writing html code,

Paul