On 11 June 2011 11:40, Sean Miller <s...@seanmiller.net> wrote:

> No, that is not the point at all... schools would not take on somebody to be
> their secretary who had no concept of what a word processor was, or could
> not use a spreadsheet... they are meant to be educational establishments...
> are you REALLY saying that the quality of staff at our schools could not
> grasp writing something like this :-

<snip>

> Possibly.... but it seems rather pathetic that we're trusting the future of
> our kids to people who don't appear to even be able to grasp something as
> basic as HTML.
>
> Sean

I know I slate the state of teaching quite often, but it's not
teachers who upload stuff onto websites - it's admin staff. Primary
schools, for example, have a school secretary who normally has to do
pretty much everything (and quite often they only work part time).
Collect dinner money, enter register data, phone parents, send out
letters - and one of the other tasks is to post newsletters onto the
school website. When you think about school secretaries you don't
think about people with technological interest, and they certainly
aren't going to spend the time reformatting a newsletter in HTML
format once they've made it in Word (or even worse, Publisher). Hence,
save as a PDF, done.

Secondary schools tend to be in a better position as they might employ
staff specifically to look after website and VLE (or as part of IT
support) - but again, they won't be the one writing the newsletter and
they will simply be asked to post it on the website.

Blaming the education system in this instance is, in my opinion,
missing the point; look at the majority of car manufacturer websites
that you can't even view without extra plugins! Having an accessible
website is not the primary function of a school, however desirable it
might be.

Jonathon