These are valuable lessons that we need to take on board Tony.

However we are dealing across an international community, where Ubuntu
can have different meanings. Not forgetting that Microsoft Windows has
very negative image across the world. To the point that most users had
to begin using it, because they had no other choice.

My first response would to make the name more accessible by the
marketing people : U2 Ubuntu. However, probably better, would be the use
of graphic characters, something the open-source community  has been
exceptional at doing. So for example a Natty Narwhale character for the
current 11.04 release. Making each major release more memorable.
Alternatively, whilst Ubuntu's logo is strong, this characterisation
could be done for the school's and young adult market in general.

John