The following comment was made...
 "Not so. How can the IT dept evaluate a FINANCIAL reporting application?
 Especially an internationally-recognised market leader? The IT dept is a
 SERVICE dept. If the MD says "I want such and such a software because I
 think we can benefit from it, the IT dept shouldn't throw a hissy fit
 just because the MD didn't consult them about what software HE wants -
 they should buckle down and install it."

 Umm - there is more involved than just chucking an app in...  IT will be
wanting to check library versions used, server capacity required, user
licensing (can it work with the local licence servers) or whether they go
with site licensing.. is remote access needed...
 Access management, frequency of upgrade, capacity planning..
 At work, the Release Management team obtain a shedload of info, so that
the installation of one app doesn't break others. While Finance can look
at apps from a user perspective - IT are the only bods who can ensure it
is properly integrated with the rest of the environment...

 When I did support, i lost count of the number of times I had to explain
why a new app would take 6 months to get onto the platform.