On 04/07/11 20:57, Avi wrote:
> richard wrote:
>
>> When I just installed 11.04 you still had to add restricted extras and
>> flash, I am sure there is a "good" reason (patents etc).
>
> It's nothing to do with patents. It's to do with Ubuntu's promise that
> it will always be Free software, and the implication that you will
> therefore not find non-free software installed by default.
>
>> But should there not be a "click this box to install", or at least a
>> page on the welcome to ubuntu screen that plays while you are
>> installing, informing people how to do this?
>
> There's a checkbox on the first pane of the installer that offers
> some non-free packages, I'm not sure if they're exactly what you're
> after though.

There is a difference between free/non-free software and software
which is a potential problem for a Linux based distribution through
licencing and or patents.

A more strict freedom policy than Ubuntu has, is used in a
distribution such as trisquel, which, when I tried it in one of my
several current machines, would not work because of lack of suitable
display drivers.

I believe that where a free software exists, then Ubuntu will use it.
However,  non free stuff can be and is included if it is key to basic
functions, with the exception of stuff with legal problems, for
example, where a manufacturer insists on being the sole download
facility or whatever.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user