hiyas,

sorry I have not been to active of late, life is a little hectic. but I do
recall a discussion about the software schools use.

In america or canada they can use
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/edu/index.html which is a pretty awesome
suite of apps. The only problem being it is not available to UK.

Well, after much digging, it may well be :)

(02:17:59) d.W.b: I have some good news for your friend Daniel from Austria
(02:18:53) PhillW: good news would be nice :) Been one of those sort of days
:/
(02:19:02) d.W.b: Oh boy :-(
(02:20:28) d.W.b: Well, I found out about that school. They can apply for a
Google App Edu edition. All they need to do is file a 504(c)55.3-Edu with
the Department of Education and thus able to apply for the Google App Edu
:-)
(02:20:40) d.W.b: A little loophole... due to student exchange programs :-P
(02:21:06) d.W.b: The filing fee is free
(02:21:29) PhillW: I do so love it when a plan comes together. Thank you
ever so much for finding that out
(02:21:38) d.W.b: You have Jay to think for this... he was using the laptop
when he discovered the loophole
(02:21:43) d.W.b: thank*
(02:22:03) PhillW: I'll thank him.
(02:23:23) d.W.b: We were both talking about it and he brought up that a lot
of colleges in other nations are able to get the .edu TLD. I asked how it
was possible as .mil .gov and .edu are for US only. He told me if it's
US-based-registered they can bypass it
(02:24:00) d.W.b: Thus he discovered the school could also apply for US
status since we accept Austrians as student exchange.

If anyone wishes me to pursue this for a UK school / college etc., I would
be happy to do so.

As for Jay, well he is top of class at his University averaging 97% on
exams. Two of the 'upstream' teams are now going to be using
http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/ from a different university, there does seem
to be a F/OSS option available for schools.

Regards,

Phill.
--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw