Hello,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 12:44:27PM +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Tony Arnold wrote:
>
> > > Ubuntu 11.10 will ship with GNOME 3.x and Unity 3D as the default
> > > desktop with Unity 2D as the alternative option, not Classic.
> >
> > Does that mean the Classic interface will no longer be available
>
> Effectively, yes. There's not much scope for Gnome 2 existing alongside
> Gnome 3.

Erm, not really.

2.32 obviously won't be available as Oneiric has GNOME 3. But that's not
the same as saying there is no alternative to Unity.

There's gnome-shell.

There's gnome-panel 3 (AKA gnome fallback mode) which is rather similar
(but not exactly the same) as gnome-panel 2. I'm using it right now.
It's not the end of the world. It's pretty "Classic".

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ i...@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ la...@debian.org ]