On 22/09/11 12:31, thegeeksquad...@ymail.com wrote:
> A nice analogy, if not a bit dirty-minded, but we won't judge ;).
>
> The problem with Linux is that we always take it, take the patent
> infringements, take the lies, the barrage that Microsoft put upon us.
>
> Microsoft said that Linux infringes on its patents and tells that around,
> when in fact - it didn't. It used that as a marketing tool to stop it from
> getting share. I'm pretty sure they attempted to sue, but it was declared
> non-copyrightable code. Linus Torvalds should sue the living hell off of
> Microsoft for all they've done.

While that may sound a good solution,  I am sure Linus would think his
time would be better spent at the computer making Linux better,   court
cases may be a solution but they are expensive and time consuming,  the
cost of a lawyer can buy new hardware and other bits and  pieces to help
with the development process which will make Linux work on more hardware
and systems.

The best thing we can do as a community is to ignore the FUD and use
what money we do have to create something that is world class and then
market this in the best way we can,  word of mouth really helps.

If a friend complains their computer has a virus,  ask what is a
virus?,and say you use Ubuntu and never have that issue,  offer to dual
boot their computer or at least boot a live cd and recover that
essential file, they a) leave happy, b) get a good impression of how
ubuntu (or any linux) is a good thing,  and c) hopefully ask for it to
be installed.

Paul