On 24 September 2011 21:03, Alan Bell <alan.b...@libertus.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/09/11 18:10, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> I am all for a roaming nationwide event, but I personally can't afford
>> to just nip up to Nottingham for a drink.
>
> lack of commitment there Liam :)

Sorry! :¬)

>>  If there are enough numbers
>> for regular monthly meets in any part of the country, do go for it!
>>
> yes, I would love to see the Happy Hour tour leave regular meetups in its
> wake, and we will no doubt be revisiting the London area at some stage. I
> think a regular monthly meetup in London on a weekday as an after work
> social thing would be great. I think you need to decide if the focus should
> be Ubuntu, Linux distros, Free Software or general geekyness, not to exclude
> people but to define your target audience and work out how you are going to
> let them know the time and place.

I am slightly torn. Whereas distro wars can be fun for a laugh, I'd
not want to see acrimony break out in the pub. But OTOH, frankly, all
FOSS users are in a bit of a minority.

One could ask if running a FOSS CMS on Windows or something would
qualify, but frankly, if you're interested enough to turn up then I
personally would say that's enough.

I reckon open it up to any and all Linux (BSD, etc.) users, try to
find people via Lonix and GLLUG as well, and then hope that it spreads
by word of mouth and on fora, IRC and so on.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508