Thanks for the suggestions:

>Maybe rename your .pulse folder (if there is one) to see if it works?
>If not, rename it back.

Tried this & a new folder is generated but still doesn't work :(

>Have you run
>
>alsamixer

Looked at this & as far as I can see nothing's muted etc. Also looked at the
pulseaudio utility. The meters move when something plays and the application
playing the file is correctly identified but no actual sound!

>If
not the run 'killall pulseaudio' restart any audio apps then test. If
that worked, >pulseaudio needs reconfiguring or removing

No luck here either.
>Remove sound card, boot, shutdown, add soundcard, boot, test.

Presume you mean physicaly remove the soundcard. It was quite a struggle to fit
so I'm a little reluctant to mess with it and risk damaging it.

Looking increasingly likely I'm going to end up having to reinstall. A shame
really since it's only sound that's the problem. That's life!

George

Only other things I would do is a full system update. Remove sound card, boot,
shutdown, add soundcard, boot, test.