On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:26:54PM +0000, George Tripp wrote:

> Looking increasingly likely I'm going to end up having to reinstall. A shame
> really since it's only sound that's the problem. That's life!

A reinstall seems excessive.  If it works on the liveCD it is clearly
not a hardware issue.  Likely you have updates installed relative to
the liveCD which could be triggering the issues.  Which would mean a
re-install from CD would work and an update to latest may well break you
again, putting you back where you already are.

As a first step, because you are likely to have old kernels still
installed, I would recommend trying the kernel of the same version as
the liveCD to see if that works better.  If so its a kernel update
issue.  Otherwise it may be a pulse update issue, which is harder to
test.

Either way you should get a bug filed on it.

-apw