On 07/12/2011 17:06, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
I purchased a Logitech C270 HD Webcam which according to this site http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices is compatible with Linux.
I ran up a Live CD of Ubuntu 11.10 and connected the camera.
the camera works but the microphone does not work at all. (The mic works in Windows). Is there a way of getting the mic to work? (I couldn't get it to work in either Sound Recorder or Skype...)

Update.
Firstly I had connected the camera AFTER the live CD had run up. Mistake.
I connected the camera BEFORE the Live CD started, set the settings in Sound settings and this is what happened. The mic works perfectly OK in 10.04 LTS with the file created in Sound Recorder playing back perfectly OK. Using 11.10, the mic works, BUT - on re-playing the file recorded in Sound Recorder or using the test call function in Skype, it just plays gibberish - sounds like a demented Mickey Mouse.