On 23 December 2011 11:21, Alan Pope <alan.p...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 23/12/11 11:14, Matthew Daubney wrote:
>>
>> They have them on train station platforms now, providing a link to
>> timetables for trains :) Was the first major use I saw for them. Also
>> noticed them on a few bus stop type advertising bill boards for games (again
>> giving a link for more information, though one was a link to phone
>> backgrounds and stuff) -Matt Daubney
>

> Right. So you're walking past something and don't have a pen or paper to
> hand it makes sense to snap a picture of a QR Code to note it for future
> perusal. The product in question (timetables, pictures, sounds etc) is not
> tangible it's electronically delivered and the QR code is just a shortcut to
> get it.

Indeed! I brought it up just to counter the "normal people don't use
them" point. They're starting to see some uptake now that smartphones
are everywhere.

> Its very different for tangible products like DVDs where you have the thing
> in your hand. I am unconvinced that someone would even notice the QR code on
> each and every product. Maybe if there was a banner up people could take a
> picture of the QR code, but it seems overkill on the product itself.

I agree in principle. Having a small one somewhere to take you to some
more relevant information that might not be on the packaging would be
nice (like the manual, or a "Welcome to the Ubuntu community") type
page, or, of course, the Ubuntu-UK website :)

> Anyway, that's all an aside. I think it's great that someone is taking
> Ubuntu and packaging it up for people using his own resources. More people
> should do this :)

Seconded!

-Matt Daubney