On 03/02/12 14:10, Andres Muniz wrote:
But the offer is only if you upgrade or are using their 30 meg package.
5 is enough for me but 60 meg is very tempting. But after a long
conversation i had to decline:

That's not true.

http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/speedupgrade.html

"If you’re currently on up to 10Mb, up to 30Mb or up to 50Mb broadband, we’ll double your speed. If you’re on up to 20Mb you’ll be tripled. And for those on Broadband 100, we’ll be boosting you up to a mighty 120Mb – a new benchmark as the UK’s fastest widely available broadband."

a) it involves changing modem to a new "home hub" that they claim to be
compatible with linux. (Risky as i did not check details and did not
sound convincing)

It's a "Super Hub". I have one. It's just a custom netgear device with a cable modem internally. Some people have had issues with it, but that's nothing to do with Linux.

B) you would get home security that is not compatible with linux

Don't need it.

c) you would get 10gb of online storage that is not compatible with linux.

Yeah, that's a shame. I tried using the VStuff app in WINE but it didn't work, but I didn't spend long trying. There's plenty of Linux compatible options like Ubuntu One, Spideroak, Dropbox :)

Cheers,
Al.

--
Alan Pope