On 23/04/12 21:01, Pete Smout wrote:
> For info it was not the daily build as I have tried these before with no
> success. Nor did I try the live desktop as I have enough machines / hard
> drives to just install  and play around with it so I went straight for
> the install as I have many times before.

The daily build will literally change every day,  so it is worth
considering. The beta2 is frozen in time and is now very old indeed. I
just updated a beta 2 which already had some updates 12 days ago, and
over 300 updates  came down.

The live session from a cd will be a useful indicator of the match you
have with your hardware. It is a low commitment, convenient test, and
also can be a toolkit. The boot parameters can easily be edited if you
really need to.

The release ubuntu  is a modern software aimed mostly at modern
hardware. Even so, I use it on some incredibly old machines, with a
little care. It runs only in 2D on my dual core PC.

However, Lubuntu, and Xubutu are deliberately aimed at older machines,
so techniques used will be less likely to give trouble in machines
you have used for years.

--
alan cocks