On 24/05/12 16:12, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
I think your problem is that it is Linux for Humans, not Linux for Tinkerers. :) If you have heavily modified anything, beware of upgrades. I love customising, but I've learned to stay close to defaults for this reason. I think you have no choice BUT to dig. Capturing the kernel panic is good. Also consider sysloging to a remote host and see if it turns up anything (but it can't catch a panic). I suspect you'll find a reinstall works where an upgrade doesn't. I generally rsync most things in / to /home/root.old, then install over. Then copy back anything of note.

This is EXACTLY what i was trying to say (though not very well). A virtually un-customised Ubuntu release upgrades just fine. If folk like to customise, then do a clean install, because your customisation is not likely to survive an upgrade anyway.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/