On 10 June 2012 15:05, scoundrel50a <scoundrel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I cant remember my log in password for one my computers and tried all
> sorts of different passwords, but to no avail. I even tried following this
>
> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
>
> but get to selecting root, and that is where things are different, on the
> page it allows you to enter this 'mount -0 rw, remount /' but mne doesnt it
> asks for a root password, and I cant go any further....is there a command
> via the terminal to change the password?
>
> Thanks

After you have remounted the file system read/write, you are the root user,
without needing to enter a root password.  If I remember correctly, you
just need the command

passwd

to change the root password, but you shouldn't need to do that if you use
the normal sudo method of assuming root privileges.  All you should need to
do is change your own password with

passwd <username>

replacing <username> with your user name.

Tony