On 10/06/2012 15:42, Simon Greenwood wrote:

On 10 June 2012 15:37, scoundrel50a <scoundrel...@gmail.com <mailto:scoundrel...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 10/06/2012 15:30, Simon Greenwood wrote:

    On 10 June 2012 15:05, scoundrel50a <scoundrel...@gmail.com
    <mailto:scoundrel...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        I cant remember my log in password for one my computers and
        tried all sorts of different passwords, but to no avail. I
        even tried following this

        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

        but get to selecting root, and that is where things are
        different, on the page it allows you to enter this 'mount -0
        rw, remount /' but mne doesnt it asks for a root password,
        and I cant go any further....is there a command via the
        terminal to change the password?

    That shouldn't be happening if you're booting into single user
    mode. You are effectively root on the console. It suggests that
    the disk is mounting read-only and needs checking.

    The other option is to boot from a live CD or USB, mount the
    drive in much the same way, and unset the root password by
    editing /etc/shadow on the mounted disk and removing the string
    in the password field.

    s/
-- Twitter: @sfgreenwood
    "TBA are particularly glib"

    Oh yes I forgot tot tell you I can see it says read only not read
    write, so why would it do that it was clean install.....how do I
    check it.......and I dont know what you mean by 'removing the
    string in the password' sorry........

That's the answer then. Reboot to rescue mode and select 'fsck' to get the disk checked, then reboot into rescue mode and root and then follow the instructions about mounting.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Hi, well that didnt work, probably because I am not too sure about what I was doing, so I decided to install lubuntu on it instead, its installing now, so hopefully it should work, as I added a new password, and saved it on another computer.....

thanks everybody for the help