On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 10:57 +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
> We need to get LUGOG (Linux User Group of Glastonbury) going again,
> haven't had a meeting for a couple of years, but the challenge is
> exactly this...
>
> On 29 July 2012 10:18, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't really picture it as being something so formal as having speakers
> > really. At Reading nothing like that goes on and it's a very casual
>
> Nobody in the LUG seems to be able to agree on what they want.
>
> Some won't attend unless it's a formal speaker type setup ("I might as
> well just go down my local and chat to Linux users online than travel
> to drink with Linux users who probably don't know much anyway" etc.)
> and others don't really want a formal presentation and would rather a
> casual chat about shared problems etc.
>
> It's all really "horses for courses" and, unfortunately, we don't have
> enough members to really sustain two courses.
>
> The other problem, of course, is that Linux is a kernel not an
> Operating System so whilst the users no doubt have a lot in common
> there is a lot that is different too.... we need to recognise that
> most "Linux Users" are no longer trying to do obscure things from the
> command line but are far more likely to be running applications and
> (of course) we have the 90% of "Linux Users" who don't even know
> they're "Linux Users" but are running the kernel on their Android
> smartphones.
>
> Not to mention that if you get a Debian user, a KDE user on another
> distro, a Gnome user and a Ubuntu together in one room there is
> guaranteed to be fireworks.  We have the challenge of "evangelism",
> people not trying to help but rather convert, saying things like "that
> wouldn't happen on *MY* distribution"...
>
> It's far too much effort for me, to be honest.  I would *love* LUGOG
> to restart, but I have no great confidence that it would survive for
> more than another 2-3 meetings.
>
> Any ideas anybody could offer as to how one could make a LUG viable in
> a sparsely populated area like Mid Somerset would be gratefully
> received.
>
> Sean

Sean,
Serious suggestion....
Make up an Ubuntu flag, stick it on a pole with a Tux flag adjacent
[above or below] and set up at the next Glastonbury festival.
The people you meet will [hopefully] be a nice surprise, more open
minded and may solve all those problems for you - and  maybe sow a few
seeds of their own.

--
Cheers,
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]