On 19 August 2012 22:13, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, odd. That suggests a problem with removing and reinstalling LibreOffice
> that needs to be addressed. Logically, removing LibreOffice and the
> .libreoffice folder and then reinstalling should reset your LibreOffice
> install. You shouldn't have to reinstall your OS to repair a damaged
> application.

To me it sounds more like Barry has manually removed files belonging
to packages that didn't get uninstalled (not just files inside his
home), so dpkg/apt doesn't know it needs to re-install them, and now
libreoffice can't find them. Manually removing stuff that dpkg thinks
is there can be expected to cause problems.

Reinstalling every libreoffice related package should fix the issue.
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash is provided by the package
libreoffice-core, for example.

btw, just removing ~/.libreoffice (or even just the plugins directory)
should have been enough to resolve the original issue. It's almost
never necessary to re-install packages to reset their configuration if
they are packages run by a normal user (and reinstalling the package
just doesn't work in all* places).

*I think

--
Matt Wheeler