First things, please don't view this as an attack on the usefulness of
Unity lenses. View it as coming from a "critical friend" (and if in
doubt re-read it a couple of times).

On 25 September 2012 00:22, James Thomas <selin...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.. You are writing from a google mail account that does send targeted
> adverts dependent on the content of your emails.

Which I know about. It's in the privacy agreement/terms of use when I
sign up for the service. I don't recall anything similar with Unity,

> This system is giving you what you want without profiling you or passing
> your data on.

Where's the privacy policy? How do I know this?

> I don't understand the issue here, there is no data mining going on. You
> make a request and the server gives you (hopefully) the response you want,
> much like typing in a search at google.
> Except google do profile you.

Not quite. When I type into the Dash it's the primary way of launching
local applications and finding local files. There was a blog post
(IIRC by Mark) about changes to the Dash removing "available for
installation" applications as people viewed their Dash as their own.
In addition, with a Google search there's a "privacy policy" link at
the bottom of the page; there's nothing similar for Unity. Plus, I can
change the amount of  information sent back to Google. If I search
while not signed in it's not linked to my account. If I want to use
the network-based location service on my Android phone I can set the
device not to report my location to Google. Canonical can
(theoretically) build a profile based on geoIP, Ubuntu One SSO,
(Firefox searches?), and now Dash searches; the point of discussion is
how to "find the creepy line".

> This is making things more secure to search, not less...
>
> Or is my understanding completely off?

It's all about making sure people are aware. Though this will likely
open me up for flames, the evolution of the Unity lenses smacks of a
hobbyist attitude (much like some of Google's services): it works for
me, I have no problem with it, I can't understand why anyone would
mind, but if you do you can go somewhere else.

One solution is pretty straightforward: make online search features an
option in the installer (same page as third-party codecs) with a link
to the privacy policy etc.