lenses listen to the seach query, they get a callback when it changes. They can then use what the user has typed in whatever way they want to get results. This means that one could be doing a substring search, others an exact match, others case insensitive etc. So if it isn't doing a very good search this is a bug in the individual lens, not a general thing across all of them. There is a tradeoff between fuzzyness and accuracy. Personally I am pretty unimpressed with the results of fuzzy searches (like the HUD does) because it produces random unexpected results that kind of anticipate me failing to type stuff correctly. If I typed "and" I would *not* expect something starting with H to get in the way of what I was actually looking for, if I wanted something starting with H I would have typed it.

On 25/09/12 16:29, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
Related to that, the Lens searches seem to be based on tokens of entire
words, not substrings. They are delimited by whitespace or changes in
capitalisation.

For instance, I have Handbrake installed. The desktop file gives a
description of "HandBrake". The capital letter B is significant. If I
search for "hand" or "brake", it appears. If I search for "Handbrake",
"handb", or anything that crosses the capital B, the search fails.

Further, if I search for "and", it doesn't find HandBrake at all. Searches
must begin at the start of a word. This *really* needs to be fixed.

The Mint menu doesn't have a problem with any of these.

Regards,
Tyler

On 2012-09-25 15:26, Bill B. wrote:
Hi folks,

I am curious as to why there is all this fuss about a
not-yet-fully-released dash and how it has distracted all attention away
from the dash's real problems.

As an example I would cite the failure of the apps lens to properly show
required applications... I run 12.4.1 fully updated and have a few [12]
games installed on my netbook for when I'm away and bored.  I know I
have 12 games installed but have yet to find a search to display them as
a result.  e.g "games" displays 1, "game" displays 6... perhaps for the
whole selection I should type "oi! get it right"!

Good move, you clever Canonocallies... nothing like a bit of fog to
cover up in true American presidential election stylie  ;)

--
Libertus Solutions http://libertus.co.uk