On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 15:12:18 +0100
Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbpli...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> If I want to collect together a "library" of problems and solutions
> and other resources from this and other mailing lists that I
> subscribe to, the main one being Libre Office, what would be the
> recommendations for the format and application that would be best to
> store these in, with regard for easy searching and retrieval?

Hello Gordon and all

Suggestion 1: The computer file system and ascii files

I store bits of text as text files in a directory then use find and
grep to locate the file that has the phrase I want. A very simple
starting point could be the Terminal with your favourite editor and an
addition to your .bashrc

http://onethingwell.org/post/457674798/a-poor-mans-notational-velocity

Suggestion 2: the local wiki

I've also used a local wiki with Apache and something like usemod
(perl) or moinmoin (python) running on your home pc, with no access
from outside. Wikis can provide extensive indexing through the use of
'backsearches' and you can set most up to accept image/file 'uploads'.
Usemod stores the changes to pages, so you can keep a history of your
thinking. Good excuse for learning how to set up Apache and get a web
application working. Wikis use flat text file based database formats
generally. Some use MySql.

Suggestion 3: freemind to organise files

I also use the freemind (java application) mindmapper. Nice mind maps,
but you can add notes and link files and Web addresses. Freemind files
are XML so data can be pulled out.

Suggestion 4: EMACS org-mode. Your brain as an outline. I've not done
too much with this one at all, I think I prefer just lots of text files
in my Dropbox account with find, grep and sed

cheers