On 7 October 2012 12:41, Nigel Verity <nigelver...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install GIMP 2.8 into Ubuntu 12.04, where the default version
> is 2.6.1.
>
> All the advice I can find seems to be essentially the same, namely:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install gimp
>
> Each time I try this I just get 2.6.1 installed, regardless. It strikes me
> that the default version must still be in the list of standard repositories.
> I'm reluctant to mess around with this list without knowing the effects. I
> use Synaptic all the time, but without a detailed understanding of how it
> works behind the scenes e.g resolving dependencies. Consequently I don't
> what to make a change to the repository lists which might screw things up.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Regards
>
> Nige

First , if you're not confident, leave it alone. :)

However, you can install ppa-purge which will allow you to roll back
to official packages if the PPA packages don't work as expected, or
messes up dependencies:

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

This way you can try it without much risk. I'm running with that PPA
in Quantal and it works fine for me. :)