Hi,

There is an established bug for WPA Enterprise wi-fi networks:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant/+bug/969343/+index?comments=all

In the past few days a fix to the wpasupplicant package has been proposed that requires the user to enable the precise-proposed repository (see comment #109 in the above bug report/discussion). My question is:-

If I follow the wiki instructions for enabling the precise-proposed repository, what happens to my computer when the fix is released as an official update? Will I need to disable the precise-proposed repository? The laptop runs ubuntu 12.04.

Background:-
My wife has just started as a mature(!?!) student at St Johns college in Durham university. The university network uses the aforementioned WPA Enterprise encryption system. All other students on her course use either Windows or Macs and they have, with a little struggle, manged to connect to the university network. My wife's ubuntu laptop is the only machine that has, so far, failed to establish a connection. I will not be able to check if the fix has worked until I go into college tonight.

Are there any other Durham students on the mailing list, or students of other academic institutions, that have had this problem with their university's wi-fi network?

Cheers,

Barry T
In the frozen north.