On 14/11/12 15:40, Nigel Verity wrote:
Hi

I'm thinking about upgrading to Xubuntu 12.10. It will be a fresh
install. So far I've always gone for the 32-bit version and had next to
no problems, either with the OS or applications. Conscious of the need
to keep up with the times, I'm considering 64-bit next time. Are there
any real advantages or would I be unlikely to notice any significant
difference?

Regards

Nige

I've typically gone for a 32-Bit distro too in the past but have recently made the switch to 64-Bit. Not had any issues with it, just seems to work just as well as 32-Bit distros.

IIRC if you want to run processes with more than 4GB memory then you need a 64-Bit OS, but even with 4GB Ram you can use all the memory if you enable the kernel with PAE support.

I've also found that Virtualbox seems to run a little better on a 64-Bit OS too, even with only 2GB Ram.

Rob