Hi
I have just installed Xubuntu 12.10 on an HP laptop. It worked fine until I
succumbed to the invitation to perform the 100+ updates in the queue. This
included a new kernel version. After completion and rebooting, the screen
remained blank after the Grub menu had disappeared, although disk activity and
the wi-fi indicator light seemed to show everything else was booting up OK.
I experimented with the Grub menu and found that by booting with the previous
kernel version which, thankfully, was still available, every works fine.
Does anybody know how to make the previous kernel version the default? It is
accessed through the "Ubuntu Advanced Options" item on the Grub menu. The menu
default item, defined in "etc/default/grub", uses a zero-based integer value
corresponding to the position of the required item on the menu. This does not
provide a way to access sub-menu items. Any ideas, please?
Regards
Nige