On 5 December 2012 14:05, Nigel Verity <nigelver...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just installed Xubuntu 12.10 on an HP laptop. It worked fine until I
> succumbed to the invitation to perform the 100+ updates in the queue. This
> included a new kernel version. After completion and rebooting, the screen
> remained blank after the Grub menu had disappeared, although disk activity
> and the wi-fi indicator light seemed to show everything else was booting up
> OK.
>
> I experimented with the Grub menu and found that by booting with the
> previous kernel version which, thankfully, was still available, every works
> fine.
>
> Does anybody know how to make the previous kernel version the default? It is
> accessed through the "Ubuntu Advanced Options" item on the Grub menu. The
> menu default item, defined in "etc/default/grub", uses a zero-based integer
> value corresponding to the position of the required item on the menu. This
> does not provide a way to access sub-menu items. Any ideas, please?

Just a small point, but you might be better off trying to find out
what the problem is with the newer kernel before you write it off as a
bad job.

Also it's probably worth checking that your machine's BIOS is
up-to-date and if not updating it. That is a common cause of kernel
problems in my experience.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884