On 6 February 2013 22:30, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  My system has never been much cop. Despite being only 5 months old it
> struggles to play an mp3 and browse the web at the same time. No idea why.
> However tonight it ground to a halt, the hard drive access light went mad
> and the mouse stopped moving. Then it moved in jerks and a variety of
> windows greyed out and came back again over and over. The system did
> recover eventually but I've never seen Ubuntu act in this way, something I
> used to see all the time with Windows.
>
> I was able to load the system monitor and capture a few snapshots of the
> running processes. They don't look right to me, the useage of Thunderbird
> and Firefox seems far too high and the duplicated processes seemed a bit
> odd too. I just wondered what you guys made of it.
>
> www.cliftonts.co.uk/system1.png
> www.cliftonts.co.uk/system2.png
>
> --

I had this with 9.04 64 bit on a Dell XPS with a Mobile Centrino CPU and it
also related to Firefox, Thunderbird and Adobe plugins - YouTube would
cause the Flash plugin to spin up to 99% CPU as it seems to be on the way
to doing on your machine. Adobe Air also did the same, so the answer was to
stop using Adobe products. I never really got to the bottom of it and it
didn't happen with 10.04 and hasn't happened since.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"