Hi all,

I posted this in the forums, but have yet to get a response. I was
wondering if anyone here could help.

I'm trying to update my bios, but it looks like, in doing so, the update
wants to enable EFI.

I am looking to update my bios, because i keep having random system freezes
in 13.04 (everyone else is lauding the stability of the release) where
nothing works after the freeze - no input, no output. The machine has even
frozen during the shut-down sequence, forcing me, in all cases, to force
shutdown via the power key. I had none of these problems in 12.10.

I also have a problem where shutting down my system occasionally results in
a restart, although this problem was also around in 12.10 and 12.04.

These problems are sufficiently large (random freezes make my system too
unstable for work) for me to think that a bios update is worthwhile. Also,
my bios is very much out of date being version 1.08 with the update being
to version 2.05.

Notably however, my motherboard appears to be UEFI compatible as my bios
update wants to install UEFI features.

The release notes for the bios update (from the Lenovo website) contain the
following instructions:

"( If this is first time to apply UEFI BIOS Version G8ET66WW/G9ET65WW
(Ver.2.05) or newer version, you have to do following steps. This procedure
is required first time only.)

Windows 7 and Windows XP:

16. Power off the computer.
17. Power on the computer.

18. While the "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter" message is
displayed
at the lower-left area or lower-center area of the screen, press the F1
key.
The ThinkPad Setup menu will be displayed. If a password prompt appears,
type the correct password.
19. Choose "Security" then "Secure Boot" to show the menu.
20. Select "Restore Factory Keys" and press Enter.
21. Select "Yes" to restore Factory keys.
22. Press F10 key and select "Yes" to save and exit from Setup menu.
23. Then the computer is restarted."

I am running 13.04, 64 bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad x131e, dual booting windows
7.

Can anyone tell me if updating is going to prevent me from booting to
Ubuntu - which is my primary OS (ironically i only really keep windows on
the machine for the bios update utility)? Also, if i update the bios, can i
avoid any EFI problems by skipping some of the steps detailed in the bios
release notes? If so which ones?

Thanks,

www.ppeuk.org <http://www.peliteracy.org>