On 2013-05-07 12:05, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 07/05/13 10:45, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>> Another reply from Kodak. Interesting to learn that Kodak is leaving the
>> inkjet market.
>
> Excellent result!  I got no reply at all from Kodak.  Maybe you could
> forward Kodak's reply to the Ubuntu-UK list?

Certainly. It is attached here for all to see.

> It is interesting that Kodak
> were intending to introduce Linux drivers with the next product (which
> won't now happen).

Kodak is leaving the inkjet market. But it sounds like they do intend to
introduce support for laser. Or I'm reading into that. I'll ask.

> Maybe things are moving better in our direction than we
> were aware.  We need to keep the pressure up with the high-street stores
> though.  Pressure for peripherals support seems to work well if carried out
> courteously.

I agree that pressuring the companies involved is a good use of time and
needs to be done. I disagree that talking to the salespeople on the shop
floor does any good at all. That's just tilting at windmills. You might
educate that one person, but I seriously doubt the feedback makes it upstream.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"[...] the effectiveness of pat-downs does not matter very much, because
the obvious goal of the TSA is to make the pat-down embarrassing enough

Your email to Mr Perez was passed on to me. I look after what remains of
Kodak's Inkjet business in Europe and I hope I can give you some more
information into Linux support.

Firstly, thank you very much for your feedback. I understand your concerns
and would like to apologise for any inconvenience that the lack of support
may have caused you. The Kodak R&D team had been intending to include
Linux support with future products, however as you may be aware, we
announced we would be exiting the consumer inkjet category at the end of
2012 and will no longer manufacture inkjet printers. Whilst we will
provide support for existing products (including ink) in the market, this
does not extent to providing support for new operating systems.

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Yours sincerely

Martin Carpenter | EAMER Category Manager, Consumer Ink |
Kodak Limited (UK), | Boundary Way, | Hemel Hempstead,, Herts HP2 7YU |
martin.carpen...@kodak.com | +44 (0) 1442 846 892 Office | +44 (0) 7939
493 331 Mobile | 65 46892 KNET |
Company Information
www.kodak.com

----- Forwarded by Antonio M. Perez/455020/EKC on 04/18/2013 11:15 AM
-----

"Tyler J. Wagner" <ty...@tolaris.com>

sebastian.ja...@dixons.co.uk, antonio.pe...@kodak.com

b.dr...@ntlworld.com

04/17/2013 04:39 PM

Lack of Linux support on Advent Touch printers

Dear Messrs James and Perez,

I write to you as a customer of Curry's, of Dixons, and of Kodak. I'm a
regular purchaser in both high street shops, and I recently purchased an
Advent Touch Print AIO printer online from currys.co.uk. This printer is a
rebranded Kodak product similar to the Kodak ESP C310.

My family and my company (talia.net, where I am CTO) are users of Ubuntu
Linux on the desktop. I was rather disappointed to discover that this
printer lacks Linux support on the web site, and that many of my fellow
Linux users failed to find a way to support your printers. I found many
tales of people who regretfully returned this printer and instead
purchased
an HP via another retailer.

I'm a very technical user, and eventually found a workaround via a
community-driven print driver. That Kodak does not assist in its
development is a shame. That Dixons sells products which cannot be used by
a significant percentage of its user base is a shame. That both companies
tell their customers that they don't support Linux, rather than help
develop drivers or at least direct them to community-developed solutions
is
yet another shame.

Supporting printing on Linux is now considerably easier than Linux - just
see the success of the CUPS project. There is no excuse not to do it.

I won't buy another Kodak or Advent printer without official Linux
support.
Neither will my company. Please reconsider your position.

Regards,
Tyler

<<image/gif>>

<<image/gif>>