On 09/05/13 22:18, Sean Miller wrote:
If Ubuntu wants to become "the OS of choice" then let's PERSUADE rather
than force people to provide an option

Pre installation is a significant factor, as is investment, and risk, and several other aspects too, in the story. A head-on confrontation with a big monopolist who is very well funded is not good sense at all. Staying well under the radar, in all sorts of ways -does- make sense, although it takes a lot of persistence, resolve, and some courage.

I would suggest that -public- lists where strategy is formulated to take over the world, or whatever, might be seen as just a little, well, naive, when the competition is such as we find. It is more than easy to steer (a very polite way to express this) any meaningful discussion, without being too obvious. If I had a large pension depending on maintaining a good old monopoly, then I would be pretty much using all possible means to disrupt and deflect the possible competition, on all fronts.
--
alan cocks