On 10 May 2013 10:02, James Tait <james.t...@wyrddreams.org> wrote:

> On 09/05/13 23:04, SuperEngineer wrote:
> > just one final word (sentence)- my word "educate" was deliberate...
> > get the kids using Linux, let them think it's 'normal'.
>
> I'm sure my boys' response to that would be "Why, isn't it?"
>
> JT

Kids are impatient, they dont want to wait for things to happen, and
generally they dont want to be bothered with installing a package or
searching out equivalent application to get what they want, so when they
google "how to do <something>" invariably the answers will all come back
based on the most widely used operating system so they will say "why cant
we just have a windows machine like our school / my mate steve etc"

I can only speak from my personal experience, my kids are no strangers to
different interfaces but they are not interested in bringing up a command
shell to solve a problem and as this is not something seen commonly in the
schools, so we'll end up with a lot of the next generation being more
technology "consumers" than "creators" ... thats only my thoughts though.

Mark