On 11/06/13 23:17, Muñiz Piniella, Andrés wrote:
  a gnu/linux
admin could manage over more units, so turned out cheaper.

That is - sort of - most certainly my personal experience. I help a big bunch of friends etc who, in the 'friends and family' network, looked to me to help them get onto Ubuntu. Most of them are very non geek. For example, when I was installing Ubuntu onto his PC, one commented 'How did you do that?' I had just done a copy paste. This person subsequently used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for a couple of years without any further questions to me, his 'support'. Recently though, he (by accident) clicked to upgrade versions to (I guess) 12.04 LTS (!) he apparently coped ok 'it took a long time....' he said.
There is only a minor printer issue to be sorted.

I administered Ubuntu 10.04 on a PC in an oldies community cafe (I qualify) for a couple of years (XP had given trouble we could not fix). It was in common use, no customers asked for help with Ubuntu. I recently upgraded the PC to 12.04 (Unity) and awaited questions. None. There was a seamless continuation of use!
I literally got NO questions about how to use it as a changed UI.

Impressive.

I am seriously surprised at how little I hear from my 'flock' of novices. Ubuntu is VERY low maintenance.

If I had to get income from selling support, I would not get much income from doing Ubuntu support to my own crowd, it is not big enough. But I would be inclined to want to convince people that they should stay with the high maintenance OS, not Ubuntu.
$

--
alan cocks