On 22 August 2013 15:00, J Fernyhough <j.fernyho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 22/08/13 13:21, James Morrissey wrote:
> >
> --snip--
> >
> > The fact that there was a wireless problem on Broadcom BCM43228 and that
> the
> > freeze appears to correlate with having the machine on battery power (i
> am
> >

> This sounds like a problem with the Broadcom drivers - this was a
> known problem with early versions of bcmwl-kernel-source 6.* (5.* was
> fine), but I'm not sure if it has been addressed. The easiest
> workaround I found for my Mini311c was to use the b43 driver
> (firmware-b43-installer)

Yes, that sounds right. Through trawling many forums i was vaguely
convinced that this was a wireless-broadcom problem. This also ties in with
the fact that i have had numerous problems getting my wireless to work on
different releases, on this machine.

With this in mind could someone tell me which packages i need to have
installed in order to get wireless working. At the moment i have Broadcom
STA wireless driver installed, which happened when i enabled additional
drivers. If i uninstall bcmwl-kernel-source, which of the following
packages do i need to install in order to get my wireless working:
firmware-b43-installer, firmware-b43-lppy-installer, b43-fwcutter, and/or
firmware-b43legacy-installer. I ask because i have had other problems
installing the wrong packages in 13.04 after trying to the the upstream
kernel to work (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140655) -
ironically part of a vain attempt to resolve the freezing issue.

- other people gave up and put in an Intel
> wireless card instead (not an ideal solution but it works).

I have thought of this and would be happy to be rid of this broadcom issue
altogether - the only reason i have this card is because Lenovo replaced my
previous faulty machine (which had an intel card) with a newer model, which
only had a broadcom option. That said, forums tell me that with a laptop i
need to make sure the wireless card is compatible with the rest of the
machine's components. How do i check this to determine which intel card to
buy? Lenovo support is so useless as to make me loath to try contact them
about it.

Thanks for the help,