On Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> > It's truncated. Maybe your terminal window is too small? (which is why
> > I suggested making it full screen).
>
> Ah, I see.  To get the line
> rc  linux-image-extra-3.6.0-030600rc1-generic
> 3.6.0-030600rc1.201208022 i386                      Linux kernel image
> for version 3.6.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
> to not truncate the name I had to extend the window into the second
> monitor even though there is empty space at the right hand end of the
> line.  Its algorithm does not seem ideal.

Looks like it's expecting the description to be the biggest field so
giving it most space.

One way I use to get round programs doing this is to pipe the output to
cat, the program then doesn't have a terminal size to try and fit into
and usually makes fields big enough to hold the data in them. You can
get the same effect by redirecting to a file and then opening with the
editor of your choice [1].

Robert

[1] If that choice isn't emacs you're doing it wrong ;)

--
Robert McWilliam      r...@allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.