On 5 January 2015 at 17:28, TT Mooney <ttmoo...@ttmooney.com> wrote:

> On 05/01/15 16:46, TT Mooney wrote:
> > I'm in the process of founding a startup, and even though I've kept my
> > current company as Linux on the desktop shop for 10 years, the startup
> > is going Mac. Because it's easier to maintain -- because the hardware
> > vendor cares about making sure it 'just works'.
>
> Amusingly enough, I just found this:
>
> http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground
>
> I'm not sure that I agree, but I'm not sure that I don't. Losing apt-get
> is a major PITA, but reliable wireless is a pretty cool feature.
>
> travis

I'd be inclined to agree with that - I had several Macs from about 2000 to
2008 and it the OS really was a great working environment simply because it
was a desktop Unix that Just Worked, but aspects of the OS have become
obfuscated and almost disabled without some work in recent years. The cost
of entry has gone up somewhat too (and my disposable income for such things
has gone down). I'd also argue that for most people changing an OS is still
not a trivial thing and PCs come with Windows on and Macs come with MacOS
on. MacOS is still a large part of the reason for having a Mac, just not
enough for me any more so I've ended up with Xubuntu and I've been
generally diligent enough in the last few years to make sure that my kit
will work and that I can customise it how I want it.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"