Hi all,

Following up on this again as the issue persists in 14.10.

To recap: When i go to shutdown my system - through whatever means
(terminal, GUI etc.) - the system restarts. The issue only occurs if i have
suspended the system since last starting the machine. If i have not
suspended, everything shuts down fine.

Problem was in 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04 and now in 14.10. There
was a brief period in 14.04, when things were working, but an update broke
things again.

Something must be triggering this process when i suspend the machine. If
anyone could help me identify it, i would be very grateful.

Thanks,

James.

p.s. running 14.10, 64bit on an Intel Thinkpad x131e.

On 24 May 2014 at 10:38, James Morrissey <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A recent (installed in the last week) update to Trusty has caused this bug
> to reappear.
>
> To recap: the bug is that if my machine is suspended at some point, when i
> go to shutdown i will get a restart instead. So long as the machine is not
> suspended, i can shutdown normally.
>
> The problem existed in 12.04., 12.10, 13.04, 13.10 and then was fixed in
> 14.04. Now some update has broken things.
>
> Can anyone help me identify what might have caused the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> james
>

> On 24 April 2014 05:31, James Morrissey <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Since people are reflecting on their experiences with Trusty, i thought
>> that i would share that an upgrade to 14.04 has solved this problem of my
>> machine rebooting on shutdown, after being put into suspend.
>>
>> I am very grateful to have this annoying bug fixed, even if i am not sure
>> what was causing the problem.
>>
>> Best,

>> On 18 February 2014 09:42, James Morrissey <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No, the system still reboots on shutdown, even if i suspend from the
>>> system menu and don't close the lid. I have not tried turning off 'suspend
>>> on lid close' and closing the lid to see what that does.

James Morrissey (PhD)
Researcher Extractive Industries and Governance | Oxfam America
Junior Research Fellow in Refugee Studies | Lady Margaret Hall | University
of Oxford

Public PGP Key
<http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3237D0FD928839B>