On 6 June 2015 at 10:32, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/15 08:31, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> Assuming the drives were sda and sdb which is which?
>> As originally setup how did you select which system to boot from?  Did
>> you tell the BIOS to boot off one disk or the other or did you get a
>> grub menu that allowed you to select which one?
>> If it was the latter then which drive did it actually boot from to
>> give you the grub menu (as setup in BIOS)?
>

> Thanks Colin ....   The answer to all three questions is sda.

I don't think 'sda' is a valid answer to all the questions, notably:

As originally setup how did you select which system to boot from? Did
you tell the BIOS to boot off one disk or the other, or did you get a
grub menu that allowed you to select which one?

>  I was
> installing to sdb, following all the defaults for reformatting and using the
> entire drive.  Mint was (is) on sda.  On completing the installation, sdb
> would not boot, although it had what looked like a valid boot installation
> on a 510 Mb FAT32 boot partition.  Nor had sda had an update to grub.  I
> really can't see why it had messed up what it ought to have done with the
> boot/grub process on sdb.

How were you trying to boot of sdb?

What exactly happened when you tried?

You should not have expected the grub on sda to be updated, as if I
understand correctly what you did that should not have affected sda at
all.

> Neither can I see why it handled the re-installation differently. Basically,
> the installer doesn't seem to be able to handle systems with more than one
> bootable hard drive very intuitively.  The second installation did not make
> sdb bootable at all!  It re-installed grub to sda, and did an update-grub to
> that drive.  I had to install grub manually to sdb and do an update to that
> drive to make it bootable.  I find it most curious!

Are you sure you selected sdb as the drive to put grub on?  I think it
may default to sda, but not sure.  Perhaps that is the difference
between the first and second goes.

Colin